Remote Learning Plan
December 11, 2020
Hello MBCI Families,
Monday, January 4 begins our return to school in the New Year with the following government guidelines in place for MBCI:
January 4 to January 15, 2021:
· Students in Grades 7 to 12 will move to a remote learning period.
· Optional remote learning will be available to Grade 6 students.
· Regular in-person classroom learning will be available to Grade 6 students for families who choose to send their children to school.
· Grades 7 to 12 students who require accommodation in a school or classroom setting will be contacted by Student Services for the option of in-person remote learning.
We continue to experience success in our MBCI School Plan for 2020-2021 and are grateful for the dedication and work of our staff team to support students in their learning. Our students continue to inspire us daily in their learning and in how they respond, adapt and collaborate with us! As we look toward January we are confident in our use of Edsby, Zoom and MBCI Learning Plans to continue to support student learning success.
The information to follow covers student learning expectations, as well as MBCI supports, for the month of January.
Student Support to End of Semester 1 - High School
Grades 9 through 12 students will receive the following supports before the Christmas Break:
· A calendar mapping out course content lessons, assessments and assignments to the end of the course.
· An exam/summative outline that provides students with an understanding of the format, expectations, resources and key concepts to be covered.
· Any resources needed for success will be posted in Edsby.
· Please note that Grade 12 English and Math course exams will be adjusted to a 20% value overall.
An update of course achievements in Edsby will be available January 4 – 8, 2021.
Remote Learning Readiness – Grades 7 through 12
· We continue to value unity and clarity in the posted learning plans for our students; Learning plans for this remote period will follow a standard template guide so that students are able to navigate instructions with ease.
· Please see Edsby’s River of News or click here for a brief orientation video for students as we prepare to enter into January’s remote period of learning, entitled Tech Talk with Mr. Rempel.
· Grades 6 through 12 will continue to follow our MBCI timetable.
· Classes will happen at the regular start times and learning plans will be posted by 8:30 each morning.
· Classes will include an expected minimum of 30-40 minutes on Zoom with synchronous (live) teaching, with the exception of some the practical elective courses (e.g. digital photography, wood working) where this may be less due to independent learning activities.
· Please note that we will be requiring all students in remote learning classes to be visible on camera during the synchronous portion. Where there are technical issues requiring the camera to be off, students are asked to message their teachers.
· Punctual attendance is expected and we will follow regular attendance reporting of lates and absences.
Grades 6 Optional Remote:
· Students should follow the daily learning plan guidelines to work alongside their classroom teacher and peers as the experience of remote learning may vary from our grade 7 through grade 12 remote programming.
· Our grade 6 teachers will continue to teach in a blended learning model of at-home and in-class learning.
· Families should notify the school if they are opting for remote learning for these two weeks.
Information for January 25-29 for All Students
Grades 9 – 12:
· High school classes will not be held January 25-February 1 – Semester 2 classes will begin on Tuesday, February 2, Day 2.
· According to the MBCI policy, all high school students are expected to write their exams at school as per the published Exam Schedule. Click here to download the exam schedule, it is also available on Edsby and the MBCI website.
· Students should carefully review the schedule so that they are aware of which days they will write an exam, as well as the location in the school.
· All exam locations will be prepared and maintained according to COVID Restricted Orange Level guidelines with respect to cohorts, physical spacing and sanitization.
· There will be no alternate exam room – please direct any related questions or concerns to Mr. Buhler in Student Services.
· Please direct any general questions or concerns to Ms. Boese.
· Classes will run as usual the week of January 25-29 and February 1.
We are hopeful that we will be able to return to our current school plan at theRestricted Level Orange on January 18th, 2021. Should more information become available over the Christmas Break we will send a communication as needed.
Thank you for your support as we continue to provide meaningful and rigorous learning for our students in a blended and remote learning environment.
Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions related to the information provided.